Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Physician Assistant Scope of Practice Laws by State

Thanks to Barton Associates (the locum tenens experts) and AAPA, an interactive guide to physician assistant practice laws was created detailing the ins and outs of each state. It offers a very good overview of the laws restricting or enhancing the profession by state and region (northwest, midwest, southeast, etc.). It highlights Six Key Elements, decided by AAPA. They are 6 elements that should be part of every state PA practice act. To learn more about each element, review AAPA's State Law Issues Brief.

  1. "Licensure" as the regulatory term
  2. Full prescriptive authority
  3. Scope of practice determined at the practice level
  4. Adaptable supervision requirements
  5. Chart co-signature requirements determined at the practice
  6. Number of PAs a physician may supervise determined at the practice level

For AAPA members, you can also view this interactive guide in tabular format or map format provided by AAPA.


  1. Hey, I have a question for you, did you take all your recommended electives for UTSW during your undergraduate year?

    1. Anonymous,

      Yes, I took them all during my undergraduate education. Most of them I had to complete during my last semester as an undergrad because my degree plan was sequenced to where I was required to finish those credits out first before completing anything else. Other courses overlapped with my degree plan so I had completed some of them prior to my last semester. I think it depends on your individual circumstances as to when you will be able to complete them. Talk to your advisor at school if you have any questions.

    2. Thank you so much! I was also wondering if you took all your classes at a university instead of a community college? i'm planning on taking science courses during the summer at a community college, that's why i'm asking. I know they accept community college credits, but I want the information on the applicants accepted to UTSW.

    3. The only courses I took at a community college were engineering physics I and organic chemistry I + lab. I took everything else at the university. I don't think taking your classes at community college really has an impact on admissions, though, from what I've heard from faculty.

  2. I will be finishing up my last term as an undergrad in the fall and am currently getting everything in order to apply to grad school. However, I don't think I will be staying in my current state. How does licenses work across state lines? Will I need to test in the same state my program was conducted or can I get my license after I move?


Leave a comment with feedback, questions, or inquiries for Paul. He will try to respond within 1-2 weeks.